P4C – Week beginning 22/06/20

Monday 22nd June was Windrush Day. Watch this video to find out who the Windrush generation are and scroll down to listen to Floella Benjamin’s story ‘I fought every day.’

Can we know anything about a person just by looking at them?

Consider these questions to help you think deeper:

Why were people unfriendly to the Windrush Generation when they arrived in Britain? Why did Floella fight every day? Does someone’s appearance (the way they look; skin colour, hair, size, shape, clothing) tell us anything about their personality? Should we get to know someone before we judge them? Are all strangers dangerous? What can we learn from people who have lived in different countries?

Did someone in your family move from another country to the UK? If yes, ask them about their experience and see if it was the same or different to the people of the Windrush Generation. Why did they move country? What were their hopes? Were they surprised when they arrived? Did they face challenges? Find out more about the Windrush Generation here.

Use the sentence openers to have a discussion with your families and type your answers in the comment section of this post.

• In my opinion…
  • I agree with… because…
  • I disagree with… because
  • I would like to add…

Use the sentence starters below if you want to come up with your own philosophical question about something you have read or seen this week:

• Should …?
  • Is it OK…?
  • What if…?
  • Is it possible…?
  • When is…?