Transition

In addition to this week’s blog post, we are also offering a paper homework pack for you to complete at home during the summer holidays.

If you haven’t already done so and can safely come into school, please collect a pack by Friday 17th July.

Please note that we will NOT respond back to any emails sent to year1@thomasbuxtonps.co.uk during the summer holiday. It will not be checked during the holiday. Have a happy, healthy and safe summer holiday.

Here is a reminder for adults on how to keep children safe online and here are some reminders on how to stay healthy.

This is the last blog for Year 1 as Hokusai and Kusama Class. It’s jam-packed with fun-filled tasks and ideas for you to enjoy and share throughout the summer holidays. As this unique learning adventure draws to a close, the countdown to your return to Thomas Buxton as Malala and Tubman Class begins! We’re so excited about welcoming you into your new classes we have created this countdown Calendar for you to enjoy over the summer.

Mathletics and Bug Club

There are lots of wonderful activities available to complete on Mathletics and Bug Club, please make sure you log on to these. If you are having any difficulties with this please email us at: year1@thomasbuxtonps.co.uk by Friday 17th July

Reading

The Thomas Buxton English Team have invited all of you to embark on a Reading Challenge with The Silly Squad.

Get all of the details by clicking here

This is one for you and your families, Year 1! The National Literacy Trust have created a range of exciting resources to keep you entertained this Summer!

There is more information on the main page. Click here to find out more.

Reading

Inspired by the Summer Reading Challenge we have a story the Silly Squad would love.

Begin by reading the story below

Identify each animal from the story and the unusual food it is being fed. Continually rehearse the sequence. Which animal would you like to feed? justify your choice.

Create a set of animal and food cards. Cut out the card for each animal and match it to the food it was fed. Then sequence the cards correctly. How can you check your sequence?

How do you think each animal reacts to the food it is given? This story has a repeating pattern. Write a new section for the story. What animals will you add? What funny food could each animal eat? How would they react? Choose one animal and draw its expression when offered the unusual food.

Read your extended version of No Thank You! Remember to read with expression. Take a look at the illustrations below as a reminder.

Grammar

Writing

We have been thinking about our future hopes and dreams throughout our World of Work theme. This week you have a chance to become a Storyboard Artists. A storyboard is a bit like a comic strip but it tells the director what is happening in a film and gives a bit more information about how a camera person should shoot the film or episode.

storyboard artist is like the director of an animated film or TV show. The artist creates visuals for each major scene in the story including character poses, facial expressions, and backgrounds. many times, especially in TV animation, the storyboard artist is also the writer of the episode. Big Dreams on Screen is a project run by Into Film.

Here’s the storyboard as a film.

They challenge you to turn your ideas into a film.

To learn more about creating a storyboard watch here. The images below show how you can represent and describe different types of shots so that the storyboard is easy for the director to follow.

Then have a go at writing your own storyboard about hopes and dreams

Remember to include notes below each image.

You could have a go at creating a short film from your storyboard. Remember to ask permission before using any device.

All About YOU!

This week you will get the chance to prepare some work that shares insight into who you are. This will help your new class teacher; Ms Alom for Malala Class and Ms Stride for Tubman Class, learn a bit more about you.

Use the template to guide you. You can draw and write. Grammar

Wellbeing

It is important that we all take care of our wellbeing so that we can continue to lead healthy lives. Have a go at Wellbeing Bingo. Read the activities and see if you can get a full house by the end of summer. Which activities lighten your mood and pick you up most? How about the rest of your family? You could tally each additional time you complete an activity and to find out which you do most frequently.

Maths

For this final week of term we are going to explore movement and direction. To help us with this we are going to use the Bee-Bots! Click here to access the Bee-Bot Emulator page.

First of all click to change the background to the shape mat-look below to see where to click!

Now enjoy exploring the different turns you can make to move around the mat.

Remember to clear your instructions by pressing X before giving your Bee-Bot new instructions!

Can you get the Bee-Bot to the red rectangle? How did you do it?

Now see if you can become a human ‘Bee-Bot’ ask someone in your house to give you commands to walk to the door, go to the kitchen etc. Tell them the commands must say how many steps forward, and which turn to make, quarter, half or full turn.

Another way of exploring halves and quarters is through capacity!

Please click here to complete an exciting lesson all about halves and quarters of capacity.

Computing

You are almost ready for Year 2, to show your new teacher how much you already know about staying safe online please create a ‘Staying Safe online Superhero’ . What will your superhero look like? What information will they give to other children?

You could even create a comic strip about your superhero helping others to stay safe online!

This is Captain SMART!

Below is the ‘SMART Zoo’ to help to remind you what SMART stands for!

PSHE

Aim: I can tell you about changes that have happened in my life.

Listen to The Colour Monster story by clicking here.

Think about these questions:

• How did The Colour Monster feel?
  • How did The Colour Monster cope with its feelings?
  • What could have made The Colour Monster feel this way?
  • Can you think of a time when a big change happened in your life?
  • How did you feel?

The pictures below each represent a big change that many of you might go through. Can you guess what those changes are?

Use these sentence openers to share how you might feel or each event.

• If I had a baby brother I might feel…
  • When I started school I felt…
  • If I got a new kitten I might feel

How would you cope with these big changes? How could you manage your feelings?

e.g. tell an adult, express your feelings, share your worries.

Draw a picture of a big change in your life and write about how you felt in a speech bubble. You can use this template as a guide.

Many changes are positive and joyful too. Think of a time that you have particularly enjoyed a change. It would be great to hear about your experiences. Share your stories by replying to this blog post.

Over the summer you could explore some more PSHE lessons by clicking here. There are five lessons and each one will help you prepare as you move into Year 2.

P4C

We have observed nature and ourselves change over the year. change can make us feel a whole range of emotions like excitement and happiness or nervousness and uncertainty. Changes can be fascinating. Some things do stay the same as we grow up like our birthday, the hand we write with and our interests. Some things change as we grow up like our height, making new friends and our interests. This week we’ll think about what that means for us as we go from Year 1 to Year 2.

What this weeks episode of What’s the Big Idea?Change. Join Hugo as he explores and shares his thinking about change.

or click here to watch.

This week’s Big Question is:

Will I change when I go into Year 2?

Use the sentence openers to have a discussion with your families and in the comments below.

• In my opinion…
  • I agree with… because…
  • I disagree with… because
  • I would like to add…

Write your ideas down and send them to: year1@thomasbuxtonps.co.uk or in the comments section below.

Spelling

Use this strategy to help practise your spelling.
  • dolphin
  • alphabet
  • phonics
  • elephant
  • telephone
  • contractions

Now write a sentence for each word. If you are up for an extra challenge, you can have a go at using every word on our list in a story. 

• when
  • where
  • which
  • wheel
  • while
  • where
  • who

Can you spot the consonant pattern for both sets of words?

Wow! And just like that Hokusai and Kusama will become Malala and Tubman. Next year all of the classes will be named after activists. An activist is someone who campaigns for change. Over the summer do some research and see what you can find out about Malala and Tubman. You will have the chance to share what you’ve learnt with the rest of your class and your new class teacher.

7 thoughts on “Transition

1. Moumita

Grammar:
    The verb tells you what to do.

All about me:
    The things that I like are flowers, nature and art. The things I enjoy doing are playing, doing maths, acting and getting creative. The things I don’t like are toy cars and going on buses. I am got at maths and getting creative. I want to get better at pronouncing long works.

Maths:
    First, move 2 spaces forward.
    Second, move I space to the left.

PSHE:
    If I had a baby brother, I might feel excited to play around with him and help him learn new things.
    When I started school in nursery, I felt nervous because everyone was new and I didn’t have friends yet but soon I made friends with Amira.
    If I got a new kitten, I might feel happy to teach them new tricks.

P4C:
    In my opinion, I think I will change because I will grow up and learn new things that I didn’t know in the past.

Reply
    1. edoipresident Post author

P4C: Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Moumita. Will anything stay the same when you move into Tubman Class?

All About Me: I enjoyed reading your responses and learning more about you. If you can, create a version to give to Ms Stride too.

Reply
  2. Moumita

Spelling:
    1. Dolphins are huge and have eyes.
    2. In the alphabet there are 26 letters.
    3. In phonics we sound out words we don’t know.
    4. Elephants are grey and have long trunks.
    5. In the past there were old fashioned telephones.
    6. Contractions have apostrophe.
    Challenge:
    When are we going home?
    Where is our new class?
    Which dress do I choose?
    On cycles you can see wheels.
    While I was home with my mum and sister, my dad went shopping.
    Who’s coat is on the floor?

Reply
    1. edoipresident Post author

Thank you for sharing your sentences, Moumita. Check your final sentence. It is easy to confuse who’s and whose because they are homophones – words that sound the same but are spelled differently.

Who’s is a contraction of Who is

whose is a pronoun that means belonging to.

Have a go at writing a sentence for both.

Keep enjoying your learning, Moumita

Reply
  3. Aleena (Hokusai)

All about me –

The things that I like are art, music and dance. The things I enjoy doing are playing, drawing, listening to music and acting. But things I don’t like are staying indoors all the time and having nobody to play with. I think I am good creative writing and drawing. I want to get better at being independent.

PSHE:
    If I had a baby brother then I would be super excited since I will have someone new to play with and take care of.
    When I started school in nursery, I felt nervous because I was in a completely different environment and I didn’t know anyone, but soon I made many friends.
    If I got a new kitten, I would feel happy and would cuddle with it all the time and train it to do tricks.

Reply
    1. edoipresident Post author

Thank you for sharing this, Aleena. It was really interesting for me to get to know you a little bit more. If you get a chance. Share your All About Me with Ms Alom by creating a paper version.

You are most certainly good at creative writing!

Reply
  4. Aleena (Hokusai)

All about me –

The things that I like are art, music and dance. A few of the things I enjoy doing are playing, drawing, listening to music and acting. But on the other hand, some of the things I don’t like are staying indoors all the time and having nobody to play with. I think I am good creative writing and drawing. I want to get better at being independent!

PSHE:
    If I had a baby brother then I definitely be more excited and playful since I will have someone new to play with and take care of.
    When I started school in nursery, I felt anxious because I was in a completely different environment and I didn’t know anyone, but soon I made many friends.

Reply